St Helens Mill, Dukinfield Woodend Mill, Mossley
This cotton mill is located on the north-west side of Crescent Rd and it is also known as Crescent Road Mill. The mill was a new build in 1819 by Joshua Binns (3 Apr 1817-1875) and by 1824 he had built a second range in partnership with James Dean. The company traded as Binns, Dean, and Company and the partners were Joshua Binns, James Dean and John Binns. The 1851 Census records that Joshua Binns was resident on Crescent Rd with his wife, Sarah Townsend, and daughter, Sarah Shaw.
Other companies known to have worked St Helens Mill are:
The mill is of all brick construction with floors of fireproof construction supported by cylindrical cast-iron columns.
From the outset the mill was steam-powered and it is notable for being an early combined cotton mill that from the outset incorporated both spinning and weaving facilities*. The OS 25 Inch, 1892-1914 shows a chimney in the courtyard, so it is likely that this was then the site of the boiler house.
The main spinning range faces Crescent Rd and this is 4-storeys high by 23-bays long. This was built in three phases and the central portion (bays 9 to 14) was built in 1819 and this was named, ‘New Mill’. This makes it one of the oldest surviving cotton-mill buildings in the Tameside district. Additional buildings were in 1824, 1833-40 and 1845. The site is complex with five ranges grouped around a triangular courtyard and smaller ranges within the courtyard.
St Helens Mill is listed Grade II, List Entry No. 1268063.
This cotton mill is located on the south-east side of Manchester Rd alongside the river Tame and the Huddersfield Narrow Canal and it was built by Robert Hyde Buckley. It is notable for being an early combined cotton mill that from the outset incorporated both spinning and weaving facilities.
The mill was erected in several phases between c.1830 and 1840 and it was built with coursed and squared stone rubble exterior walls, and slate roofs. The floors are of fireproof construction supported by cylindrical cast-iron columns. It was expanded in 1862/64 when a larger mill building was added. By 1891 the company had become incorporated and was styled Robert Hyde Buckley & Sons Ltd.
Woodend Mill is listed Grade II, List Entry No. 1268030.